Service projects and partners.
- Zonta Club of Harrisburg-Hershey partners with Greenlight Operation. Their vision is to see a world where human trafficking is disrupted and survivors are restored. Their mission is to combat human trafficking through educational initiatives and serve sex trafficked women through a continuum of restorative care. Zonta Club members collected gifts for Greenlight Operation at their Party with a Purpose.
Golden Z Club Penn State Harrisburg
- Through the Golden Z Club program, Zonta members work to bring Zonta International’s mission to students around the world and to stimulate new and meaningful student-led service and advocacy projects.
- Z clubs are formed on secondary school campuses or in communities, and Golden Z clubs are formed on college and university campuses. These student clubs are designed to provide opportunities for young adults to develop communication and leadership skills, explore career alternatives, and increase their international awareness and understanding through service. The Zonta Club of Harrisburg-Hershey sponsored and supports the Golden Z Club Penn State Harrisburg. Here are the upcoming projects for the Golden Z Club:
- Travel size toiletry drive with UPMC Carlisle. The items in need are soap, toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, shampoo and conditioner, disposable razors.
- Preparing diaper baskets for mothers with Penn State Medicine in Mechanicsburg.
- Join members of the Zonta Club of Harrisburg-Hershey with the workday at Central Pennsylvania Food Bank- March 23rd.
- Clothing drive through UPMC in April. This will be a campus wide donation. Donations include any used clothing, and new packaged underwear.
Central Pennsylvania Food Bank
- We are doing a workday at the Central Pennsylvania Food Bank on Saturday, March 23. Join us as we help support the mission of the Food Bank: fighting hunger, improving lives, strengthening communities.
Healthy Steps Diaper Bank
- Zonta club members collected diapers for Healthy Steps Diaper Bank. Its mission is to provide diapers, period supplies, and other basic needs to underserved families throughout South Central Pennsylvania. Members also volunteer at Health Steps Diaper Bank to package items for distribution to their clients.
Period Project Harrisburg
- Zonta club members donate products to the Period Project Harrisburg. Its mission is to eradicate period poverty in the Harrisburg area and raise awareness about its impact on the dignity and health of our community.
Domestic Violence Services of Cumberland & Perry Counties (DVSCP)
- Zonta club members participate with DVSCP in multiple ways. We have provided lunch to the women in the shelter during 2022-2023 and actively participate in their annual Candlelight Vigil to remember and honor those who've lost their lives to domestic violence in Cumberland and Perry Counties.
- On March 8th each year, Zontians worldwide distribute yellow roses to women who have demonstrated outstanding achievements in their lives in honor of International Women’s Day. For several year, to celebrate this day, members of the Zonta Club Harrisburg-Hershey have shared the Zonta message, food and fellowship with the International Fellows Program spouses at the Carlisle War College. It's a significant opportunity to remember our common hopes and desires as a worldwide community. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to learn how you can participate.
Service Grants Award
- The Zonta Club of Harrisburg-Hershey Foundation raises money to fund local projects which focus on the improvement and safety of women and children. An award between $1,000 and $3,000 will be presented to Days for Girls Camp Hill Team in May 2024. Days for Girls provides menstruation kits for women, girls and postpartum ladies. Our Camp Hill team has chosen to sew kits for young girls just starting their periods, so the periods do not interrupt their education. When kits are distributed, Days for Girls requires that girls attend a class that teaches them about their periods and how to track them, how to care for themselves, that it is a normal process, and nothing to be afraid or ashamed of. They are also taught that they do not have to sell their bodies to obtain the products they need for menstruation. The girls are thrilled to receive our kits. We know that they feel much more confident about their bodies when they have what they need to manage their menstruation.
- For several years, Zonta club members supported the residents and staff of Shalom House. They are committed to providing emergency shelter for homeless women and children, transitional housing for homeless women veterans and their children, and permanent housing for disabled, chronically homeless low-income women. In 2021, the Zonta Club of Harrisburg-Hershey presented Shalom House with $6,000 from a year of fundraising efforts, and a grant award of $500 from the Mary McInroy Sheffer People Trust.
Bethesda Mission Women's Shelter
- For over 34 years Bethesda Women and Children’s Mission has offered a place of healing, change, and hope for women in need of addiction recovery, safety and stability, a new start in life, and place where they can call home. The Zonta Club has supported the Women's Shelter with funds and donations, including our December 2023 'Party with a Purpose' where we packaged bags of personal items for the residents.